I hope you all had a beautiful week, filled with love, happiness, and food! I’m having one of those sleepless nights again, so I decided to type up another blog post! Does anyone read these? I guess there is a reason people call this “online diaries!”
One question I get asked a surprising amount of times is how I lost all my baby weight. To be honest, I JUST discovered today that I’m down from my pre-pregnancy weight which is one of the main reasons I’m writing this now. Pre-pregnancy my weight fluctuated around 113-115, and towards the end of my pregnancy, I gained a total of around 20 pounds. Though that may not seem like a lot to many people, I have a relatively petite frame, so I looked rather round towards the end (not just my belly, but my face as well)! My legs have always been on the thicker side (someone in elementary school once said I had “tree trunk legs” :'(), and they really swelled up in my last trimester. Now I am officially 9 months post-partum, and today I weighed 105! I don’t feel much skinnier, but I have so much more energy, and I feel healthier and happier (which is the most important thing)!
Anyways, I’m getting off topic. How I lost weight (joannathenurse style).
(These are just the things I did that helped me naturally drop weight! I am not a dietitian, just a mom. wife. and nurse. 😉
Cut out meat products
- This has been HUGE for me in losing weight. My husband is a vegetarian so we never have meat in our home, and lately I haven’t craved meat at all. I do think this has been one of the biggest factors in my weight loss journey. Plus, have you guys watched “What the Health” on netflix? It is so eye opening to the meat and dairy industry. I recommend watching to everyone!
- I still eat meat here and there if i’m out with friends, but I definitely do not eat as much as I once did.
Reduce the amount of added sugar
- I have always had a sweet tooth, but by cutting down on sugar, I feel healthier and skinnier! After reading about the negative effects that sugar has on the body, it did turn me off slightly and I cut back A LOT. If I get a sugar craving (which happens more often than I would want it to), I eat greek yogurt ice cream (buy from target, sooo good), or fruit. Of course, there are times where I just cannot resist and I drive myself to the Mcdonald’s drive thru and order a vanilla cone. Again, everything in moderation 😉
Constant moving throughout the day
- This is something that I know isn’t possible for everyone, but for me, it is definitely possible! My job as a nurse requires me to almost always be on my feet! It can be exhausting, especially since I wear heels all the time, but it’s worth it because I love talking to my patients!
Always eat breakfast
- No matter what day or time it is, I always eat a little something before starting the day. I cannot function with a little food in my tummy. I will either have a smoothie or a slice of bread with cheese and maybe some avocado. There are other days where I consume a chocolate croissant or a vietnamese sandwich, and those tend to be my extra happy days!
- Hmm.. that is about it to be honest (plus I’m getting tired writing.. it is now 11pm, and past my bedtime)!
- If you notice, I didn’t mention anything about working out. After giving birth, I just did one cycle class in the past nine months. Food is the main reason people lose or gain weight! I have never been a fan of the gym (bad trait of mine), but in reality, smart food choices is the best way to look your best and feel your best (at least in my opinion)!
Thank you all for reading, and please comment if you have any questions!!
Joanna the Nurse
- These are all my own opinions! 🙂